Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

WW Staples and a little (not so impressive) trick!

When I first started WW, I was absolutely clueless about what I could and could not eat. It turns out that I can eat whatever the heck I want...as long as I stay within my daily points allowance. Great. It's overwhelming at first and requires a lot of trial and error, but I thought I'd share some of the foods that have helped me out during this WW journey.

I find that I constantly turn to my Oroweat Sandwich Thins, which are only 1 point for the top and bottom! I toast it and spread a wedge of Laughing Cow Lite Original Swiss (1 point) on it for a 2 point breakfast. If you top that with less than 1 cup of blueberries, it's even yummier and still only 2 points. Or, sometimes I'll just toast it and dunk it in my coffee. I even use these sandwich thins to make breakfast sandwiches abd turkey breast sandwiches for lunch. Other people have told me that they work well for sloppy joe's and even a mini pizza crust! Just add your toppings and pop in the oven (or toaster oven). I buy the Sandwich Thins, Laughing Cow and frozen organic blueberries at Costco.

I also buy Yoplait Light Yogurt from Costco. It includes Strawberry, Blueberry and Harvest Peach flavors. Yes, it contains aspartame. If you're violently against it, don't buy it and keep reading. :)

Either the Weight Watchers or Healthy Choice brand fudge bars are a 1 point frozen treat for those chocolate cravings.

Now, on to that little trick I mentioned. I decided to take some of the Healthy Choice fudge bars to leave in our community freezer at work. Something is terribly wrong with our A/C at the office and it gets ridiculously cold. One day, I had the idea to stick one of the fudge bars into a nice hot cup of coffee. It obviously melted, but the resulting concoction tasted just like a mocha latte...completely with a frothy head! Since black coffee is 0 points, the whole thing is only 1 point!

Another staple I keep in my refrigerator is Kirkland "Real Egg" brand egg substitute I buy at Costco. I actually prefer the taste of the Kirkland brand to the "Egg Beaters" brand. I normally have 1/2 cup for only 1 point, whereas a whole egg is 2 points. I have this for breakfast on the weekend and normally have them one night during the week when Brian's working late and I'm only making dinner for myself.

Yet another thing I love is Orville Redenbacher's SmartPop 94% Fat Free Butter Popcorn. The single serve bags are only 1 point each. The larger bags are 3 points for the entire bag. Brian and I normally split the larger bag and I'll have the single serve bags at work.

Another frozen treat I've discovered is Breyers Double Churn ice cream! I remember trying this out about 5 years ago when the Atkin's Diet was all the rage and it tasted pretty nasty, IMO. But, I thought I'd give it another shot and am glad I did! I picked up Breyers Vanilla No Sugar Added Double Churn ice cream. You get 1/2 cup for just 1 point, or 1 whole cup for 3 points. Top that of with 1/2 cup blueberries (0 points) and you've got yourself a yummy, guilt-free dessert! I think I'll pick up the Fat Free (versus No Sugar Added) variety next time, just to see if there is a taste difference.

Okay, this is getting pretty long. I will try to post something new at least once per week, depending on what I'm eating at the time. Stay tuned....

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...