Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Benny: Biopsy Results

The vet called yesterday afternoon. It was a blur, which is why I hate discussing important things over the phone. It always takes a while to process the info and I've already hung up by the time the real questions start to form.

Basically, she said the growth was a "skin cancer with low grade malignancy" and that the amount of skin they excised is "likely curative". She said Benny may develop more growths since he's white. She didn't sound too concerned and didn't offer any other next steps.

Benny has another appointment this Thursday (his 5th visit in 6 weeks) to have his sutures removed (he's got a bald patch on his neck with an incision about 1" long). I'm developing a list of questions for her:
- Can she tell if the cancer has spread to other parts of his body besides just the skin?
- Is there anything we can do to prevent the spread?
- Are there any signs to watch out for?
- Should we try to keep them out of the sun (they're indoors, but they love to sit on the window sill)?
- Would tinted windows help? We thought about tinting our windows when we bought our townhouse 2 years ago, but never did it due to cost and being lazy. :P We were quoted $870 to do a tint/security film for all of our windows 2 years ago. This may be the prime time to do it.

Anyway, just thought I'd give an update to all who may be wondering. It's definitely not the news I wanted to hear (i.e. "cancer" and "malignant"), but it could have been a lot worse. Benny and I thank you all for all of your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...